Down to Earth is increasing its local organic produce, allowing the motto ‘Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food’ to shine.
Pumpkins from the transition farm at Poundbury could not be more locally sourced; sales will help finance future projects at the farm. Pumpkins evoke a sense of changing seasons, warmth and bountiful harvests.
Nutritionally pumpkins are high in Vitamin A and C,Minerals; Potassium, Calcium and Iron. They have a low GI and are versatile in sweet and savoury culinary delights. If you love soup try this:
Pumpkin, coconut and chick pea soup
- 500g Pumpkin peeled and chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 400g Potato peeled and chopped
- 1 litre stock
- 1 drained can chick peas (equvalent dry weight 125g cooked)
- 140ml coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger chopped
- Small amount fat
1. Cook onion and ginger to soften
2. Add pumpkin, potato, and stock cook to soften add chickpeas
4. Stir through coconut milk