Its a new year. If you are resolving to eat better but still want a well deserved treat every so often, try this raw food.
Makes an 8” round
For the base:
• 1 cup buckwheat groats
• 1 cup of organic almonds
• 8 pitted dates
• pinch of pink salt
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 50ml coconut oil
For the filling:
• 400g cashew nuts (soaked for 2 hours and rinsed)
• Juice of 2 oranges
• Zest of 2 oranges
• 180g coconut oil
• 100g coconut sugar
• 1 teaspoon cold-pressed vanilla powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 teaspoons cacao powder
For The Base:
- In the blender, blend the buckwheat and almonds to a fine powder.
- Add in the salt and cinnamon.
- Whilst still blending add in the dates.
- When they are broken down, add in the coconut oil and pulse until your base becomes a sticky dough.
- Press into your cake ring and place into the fridge until the next layer is ready. Tip: Making your hand slightly wet when pressing this down with make it so much easier to handle.
For The Cake:
- Zest and juice the oranges.
- Melt the coconut oil over a low heat.
- Place all of the ingredients except the cacao powder in to the blender and blend until super-smooth.
- Pour on to your cake base, saving a little bit of the mix in the blender jug.
- Add your cacao powder to the remaining mixture and quickly blend.
- Pour this onto your cake to decorate and swirl with the end of a spoon or cocktail stick to create a marble affect.